POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : End of the world delayed until spring : Re: End of the world delayed until spring Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: End of the world delayed until spring
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Sep 2008 23:09:40
Message: <48def574@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:07:37 -0600, somebody wrote:

>> I can see you did not bother answering how much you'd like to see
>> medical research get before you're willing to be OK with spending $10
>> billion for the LHC.
>
> That's easy: $100,000 billion.

Tell me, do you go to the movies?  You know, all that money that's dumped
into entertainment might be better spent on medical research.  Stop
spending your money at the movies, and start donating it all to medical
research.

What else do you do for fun?  Well, let's see, you use Microsoft Outlook
Express, so presumably you use Windows.  You bought a computer - you use
it for posting to online forums.  You pay Shaw Cable, what, $22/month
maybe for 'net connectivity?  Or do you bundle and get basic cable
(another $32.95/month), or add phone service for another $20.95/month?

That's an awful lot of money you spend on something as frivolous as
entertainment.  Seems to me that money would be better spent by donating
it (let's assume you bundle the first two lowest-cost services and spend
only about $55 before taxes per month) - that's $660/year you could be
donating to cancer research.  Better yet, why don't you go into the field
so you can actually do some of the research as well as donating your
frivolously spent money to that research?

Do you eat out much, go for drives around the rural parts of or locale.

After all, if the end-all be-all of living on this planet is to prolong
our lives and "better mankind", then doing things that don't work towards
those goals are ALL frivolous, not just HEP experiments.

Jim